UIN Creation and Lookups

Who may receive a UIN

We create UINs for persons who need one—with these exceptions:

  • We do not generate UINs for new or returning employees, because using the HR Front End ("HRFE") system for onboarding employees automatically triggers UIN generation or retrieval.
  • A person may not request a UIN on his own behalf. Only active, non-student employees of the University of Illinois System and authorized employees of Wolcott, Wood, and Taylor, Inc., may request UINs. 

UIN request process

Requests are processed on a first-in, first-out basis. Please allow two business days for responses.

Before you request a UIN: ask your sponsored person(s) about former interactions with any part of the University of Illinois System.  About University Identification Number Requests (PDF) explains UIN creation and includes a list of over 30 types and sponsors for common affiliations.

There are three ways to request UINs:

  • Online. Log in to our online UIN Request form using your NetID and password. Results (or questions) are emailed to you as each request is processed.
  • Email form for large requests. If you need UINs for five or more people at one time, contact our Help Desk for a form. When you submit a bulk request, we respond after the entire request is researched.
  • Web application. Units with a repeated and/or high volume of requests may obtain a secure application. You enter person data in a Request application, and our results and questions are displayed in a Request Status application. Contact our Help Desk for more information.

UIN Lookups

We have a self-service lookup on the i-card website that many people can use. We can look up UINs manually, too, with some additional information. Use the Find Your UIN lookup if either of these cases is true for you:

  • You worked for and were paid by the university in the past.
  • You attended the university after 1996 and you are absolutely certain that your Social Security number or Temporary Control Number is already in university records.

In all other cases, contact our Help Desk.