If you become aware of a claim or if someone presents a claim
against the University of Illinois, refer to the Claims Management office that serves your university. The investigation or settlement of claims against the University
should not be undertaken by a department, college, or other unit. The Claims Management will review the claim and determine liability.
Under no circumstances should a department, college, or other
unit on any campus pay money to settle a claim without the express
approval of their Claims Management office or the Office of
Instructions for Completing a Public Injury or Property Damage Report
When operating a facility open to the public, things can happen;
people may get injured and property may get damaged. When an
incident occurs, you and/or your staff should complete a Public
Injury or Property Damage report form. A campus-specific form can be
accessed from the ‘Helpful Links’ section at right. Please discontinue use of all versions prior to October 2015.
The Public Injury and Property Damage report forms are a means of
gathering information surrounding the injury or damage that
occurred; these reports are not an admission of liability by the
University. The details provided assist the Office of Claims
Management in conducting a further investigation of an
Witness or Department Responsibility
- Assess the situation and contact appropriate authorities as needed.
- Document the incident using the campus-specific report form. (The report form is provided as a tool to gather the information.)
- Provide assistance to the injured party or claimant with the
appropriate form and direct them to the campus office handling claims.
- If possible, answer questions or direct them elsewhere. For
example, if the injured party asks “What is the University going
to do about this?” your response would be, “My responsibility
is to document the information. Any questions should be directed to
the Office of Claims Management.”
- Immediately submit the form to the location indicated at the back of the form.
Claims Management's Responsibility
- Investigate the incident to determine if the University is legally responsible.
- As permitted by law, communicate with the claimant or injured party.
- Notify appropriate campus personnel if there are safety issues identified.
Damage to University of Illinois Property
- If damage is caused by someone outside
the University of Illinois (for instance, a truck backs into the side of one or our
buildings), contact Claims Management: 217-333-1080.
- If damage is caused by fire, lightning,
windstorm, and so on, contact Risk Management: 217-333-3113.
See the Property Insurance page for more information.
If you become aware of a claim or if someone presents a claim against the University, the claim should be referred to the Claims Management for that location. The investigation or settlement of claims against the University
should not be undertaken by a department, college, or other unit. Claims Management will review the claim and determine liability.
Under no circumstances should a department, college, or other unit on any campus pay money to settle a claim without the express approval of Claims Management or the Office of University Counsel.