Treasury Operations, Risk Management


If you become aware of a claim or if someone presents a claim against the University, the claim should be referred to the Office of Claims Management for that specific campus. The investigation or settlement of claims against the University should not be undertaken by a department, college, or other unit. The Office of Claims Management will review the claim and determine liability.

Under no circumstances should a department, college, or other unit on any campus pay money to settle a claim without the express approval of their campus Claims Management Office or the Office of University Counsel.

Instructions for Completing a Public Injury or Property Damage Report

When operating a facility open to the public, things can happen; people may get injured, and property may get damaged.   When an incident does occur you and/or your staff should complete a Public Injury or Property Damage report form.  A campus-specific form can be accessed from the ‘Helpful Links’ section at right.  Please discontinue use of all versions prior to October 2015.

The Public Injury and Property Damage report forms are a means of gathering information surrounding the injury or damage that occurred; these reports are not an admission of liability by the University.   The details provided assist the Office of Claims Management in conducting a further investigation of an incident.

Witness or Department Responsibility

  • Assess the situation and contact appropriate authorities as needed.
  • Document the incident using the campus-specific report form. (The report form is provided as a tool to gather the information.)
  • Provide assistance to the injured party or claimant with the appropriate form and direct them to the campus office handling claims.
  • If possible, answer questions or direct them elsewhere. For example, if the injured party asks “What is the University going to do about this?” your response would be, “My responsibility is to document the information. Any questions should be directed to the Office of Claims Management.” 
  • Immediately submit the form to the location indicated at the back of the form. 

Office of Claims Management's Responsibility

  • Investigate the incident to determine if the University is legally responsible.
  • As permitted by law, communicate with the claimant or injured party.
  • Notify appropriate campus personnel if there are safety issues identified.

Damage to University Property

  • If damage to University property is caused by someone outside the Univeristy (for instance, a truck backs into the side of one or our buildings), contact the Office of Claims Management: 217-333-1080.
  • If damage to University property is caused by fire, lightning, windstorm, etc., contact the University Office of Risk Management: 217-333-3113.
See the Property Insurance page for more information.