Outside Vendors, Providers, Contractors

Required Certificate of Insurance

The University of Illinois can be exposed to risk when using contractors, consultants, service providers, and/or vendors to provide goods or services or when outside organizations and individuals use its premises and/or facilities. Policy requires that contractors, consultants, service providers, and/or vendors doing business with the University of Illinois, as well as outside organizations and individuals using University premises and/or facilities, maintain liability insurance and other insurance as necessary to reasonably protect the University's financial interests, and in amounts deemed adequate by the University. In most instances the University must receive a Certificate of Insurance prior to the commencement of any work and/or scheduled event.


Contractors, consultants, service providers and/or vendors who provide goods or services to the University, as well as outside organizations and individuals who use University premises and/or facilities, shall indemnify the University against all loss, damage, and expense which it may sustain or for which it will become liable on account of injury to or death of persons, or on account of damage to or destruction of property resulting from the performance of work, the provision of goods or services, and/or the use of University premises and/or facilities, or due to or arising in any manner from Providers'/Users' wrongful acts or negligence, or of any employee of any of them.

Minimum Insurance Requirements

Types and amount of coverage have been established by the University for all parties required to show evidence of satisfactory insurance coverage. Details of these requirements are provided in Determine Minimum Insurance Requirements for Vendors, Section 6.11 of the Business and Financial Policies and Procedures.


Risk Management staff can assist units with:

  • Review of contract language, especially relating to insurance and indemnification provisions
  • Issuance of a certificate of insurance when a unit is required to produce one; see Insurance Certificate Requests.

For additional and detailed information please review Determine Minimum Insurance Requirements for Vendors in Section 6.1.1 of OBFS Policies and Procedures.

Who to Ask