Tenants and Users Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP)

The University of Illinois does not want to be exposed to undue liability risk for allowing groups and individuals to use its facilities and premises for their activities. Certain activities that present liability risk may require the user, or tenant, to provide evidence of liability protection.

Groups or individuals desiring to use University of Illinois facilities and premises must first receive approval from the appropriate Facility/Scheduling office or from the unit whose property or facility they wish to use. The scheduling office for the university in Urbana is Facility Management and Scheduling; for Chicago it is Meetings and Conferences; and for Springfield it is Facilities Scheduling and Services. Once conditional approval is granted for use of the desired facilities, the group or individual may be asked to show evidence of liability insurance in the amount of $1,000,000.

Tenants and Users Liability Insurance Policy (TULIP) insurance is offered through two different vendors, Marsh, and Arthur J. Gallagher, although outside entities may find liability insurance by contacting a local insurance broker. Insurance coverage for approved events may be purchased from any insurance carrier meeting the standards previously established by the University Office of Risk Management.

The Marsh and Gallagher policies are for outside entities or individuals that want to use University of Illinois premises and that may not otherwise have liability insurance. The policies protect both the facility user and the University of Illinois against claims by third parties who may be injured as a result of participating in an event. Both programs are designed to facilitate the purchase of coverage for an event, and may be a less expensive option to acquiring a policy on an annual basis. The cost and availability of liability insurance under these programs is based on several factors, including the nature of the event, the duration of the event, and the anticipated number of participants.

Please note, if you are using Housing Dining Services or a vendor from the "Insured Caterers' List" you do not need to purchase liquor liability coverage through TULIP.

The Gallagher program is intended solely for external users of campus facilities. The Marsh program can be used for both campus and non-campus facilities.

To determine the availability and cost of insurance available visit either vendor's website.

  • For Marsh, go to www.Marshcampus.com  and select the appropriate university from the "school list" drop down menu. Select "Special Events & Activities Coverage" from the Products list and complete the Online Quote application process.
  • To access the Gallagher coverage, go to Gallagher's URMIA TULIP website. Select "Quick Quote" and enter the appropriate location code from the following list, and then provide all of the requested information to complete the quote process.

3897  Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois
3898  Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
3899  Memorial Stadium
3900  Activities and Recreation Center
3901  Krannert Center for the Performing Arts
4486  Alice Campbell Alumni Center
3902  University of Illinois at Springfield, Public Affairs Center
3903  University of Illinois at Chicago, Pavilion
3904  University of Illinois at Chicago, Ofc of Classroom Scheduling
3905  University of Illinois at Chicago, Forum

In most cases, approval for the policy will be given immediately. In these instances, the cost will be displayed and payment via a credit card requested. Payment is the sole responsibility of the group or individual purchasing the policy.

In cases where additional information or underwriting consideration is required, review of the information by an insurance underwriter will be required. This process may take up to ten business days to complete. You will be notified directly by a representative of the corresponding vendor when a decision has been made.

Confirmation of coverage will be sent directly to the University Office of Risk Management.