Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  As University property, are the PCs and laptops in my department automatically insured and covered for damage, theft, etc.? 
A:  University Risk Management administers a Computer Insurance Plan that can cover computers.  This coverage, though, is not automatic.  A University unit must contact UORM if they want to insure their computer equipment.  Read the ‘Property Insurance’ topic to find detailed information about computer insurance.


Q: Our department is planning an event and the public will be invited to participate.  Should we have participants sign any type of release? 
A:  Read our Acknowledgement of Risk and Release of Responsibility page.

Back to top


Q: What is my responsibility when it comes to reporting damage done to a University vehicle or harm done to someone else by a University vehicle? What about leased or rented vehicles? 
A:  First, all vehicle accidents must be reported even if it does not appear any damage has been done to any vehicle involved. The Illinois Administrative Code (Title 44, Subtitle D, Chapter 1, Part 5040.520) states that a driver of a state-owned or leased vehicle or rented vehicle that is involved in any type of accident shall immediately report such accident to the appropriate law enforcement agency and to Central Management Services (CMS).

Second, when you have an accident you must complete the Illinois Motorist Report (PDF) immediately. These forms should be found in the glove box of a University vehicle.

Third, you must send a completed copy of the Illinois Motorist Report (Form SR-1) to the Illinois Department of Transportation at the address shown on this form. This is your responsibility.

Fourth, CMS requires a copy of the Illinois Motorist Report (Form SR-1) along with a uniform cover letter outlining the details of the incident. The appropriate campus unit provides this service but only after the driver provides the necessary information. For the Urbana campus, the Office of Claims Management performs this function. For the Chicago campus, the Transportation Facility provides this service. For the Springfield campus, the Motor Pool Office performs this service. Drivers must report accidents to the appropriate campus unit immediately so there is ample time to satisfy the CMS requirement.

CMS requires prompt reporting as a "condition of coverage." If an incident is reported late "the driver risks forfeitures of coverage." Do not wait to submit a claim report because you are waiting for some bit of information.

Finally, if a driver is unable to report the loss him or herself, his or her immediate supervisor may report the loss.

Back to top


Q: Can my rights to drive a University vehicle be revoked? 
A:  Yes. Both the State of Illinois and the University have the right to suspend or revoke an employee's driving privileges if an employee is deemed high risk. CMS tracks accidents, and CMS may send an employee a letter advising the employee is in warning status if he or she has been involved in two at-fault accidents within two years where the damage exceeds $500 each. The next step can be probation, or possibly revocation of driving privileges.


Q: If I drive my personal vehicle on University business and I have an accident, how does the insurance work? 
A:  Section 15 - Travel, of the OBFS Policy and Procedure manual outlines what you need to do to report the accident and how the insurance works. Very simply, your personal auto liability insurance pays first for harm done to others, and any coverage provided by CMS will pay after your liability insurance is exhausted. There is no coverage for the physical damage done to your personal vehicle.

Back to top


Q: What are my responsibilities with regard to reporting a claim when driving a rental vehicle? 
A:  There is an extensive section on this topic in Section 15 - Travel, of the OBFS Policy and Procedure manual.

Q: I am a board member on an outside, non-profit (501 c) entity. I have the support, encouragement, and direction from my unit executive to do so. Does the University insure me for a liability claim made against me while serving on a non-profit board? 
A:  The University urges you to ask the non-profit entity up front about what type of insurance protection they offer to their board members. Their coverage, if any, will be your primary source of defense and indemnity. If you have asked and received permission from your unit executive to serve on the non-profit board and it is related to the University’s mission and/or serves the University’s interests, the University would provide you coverage upon exhaustion of the non-profit’s insurance. The coverage provided to you by the University is subject to all the terms, limits, conditions, and exclusions of its Liability Self-Insurance Plan.

Back to top